Sunday, June 21, 2015

Going Rogue

I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive. -- Joseph Campbell





With all the recent rain in Austin, people, flora and fauna seem disoriented. For instance, after particularly heavy flooding a few weeks ago, I almost tripped over this grumpy old turtle sitting in the middle of the trail with a [expletive] look on his face:
 
A few days later I observed this young turtle, covered in algae, dashing [in a turtle way] toward a giant wall. He appeared to have a mission, as most turtles do, but his path was in the opposite direction of the lake.











Then shortly after that I saw this beautiful rose 
blooming on the opposite side of the fence from its siblings: 

If the rose and the turtles were human, other humans would automatically assume they were going the wrong way. They may have appeared out of place, but had they been where they were “supposed” to be, I may not have noticed them. 
Life is like that, so nature gives us insightful reminders that when we appear to be out of place we can actually revel in the splendor of our uniqueness.


Maybe we should "go rogue" once in a while and notice the life we are living.

My own inner compass has always guided me on a non-linear path. 

I want to go rogue so I can see where I am not supposed to be.

What say you?

No comments: